Chronic conditions require drug administration over long periods of time, placing a greater emphasis on self-administration. With the shift away from caregiver interaction, drug safety and compliance/adherence become prominent concerns. These concerns, which are not new, are becoming magnified as the number of powerful new drugs reaching the market increases. For healthcare managers and public health officials, one way to address these issues is less frequent dosing. Using formulation technologies designed to modulate the effect of therapeutic substances, drug developers are creating formulations that exhibit extended release profiles. These chemistries include polymers such as polyethylene glycol-complexed (PEGylated), which are used to product encapsulated and coated versions of new APIs. The goal is to address the requirement for patient-dependent, and therefore compliance-sensitive, drug treatment protocols such as multiple dosing through controlled release formulations that provide the desired therapeutic effect with less-frequent dosing.
What You Will Learn
• What are the marketed sustained release injectable drug products, what sustained release formulation technologies are used, and who markets them?
• What are the major factors driving sustained release injectable drug demand?
• What sustained release injectable drug candidates are in late-stage clinical development and what is their potential impact?
• How important are drug developer-formulation technologist relationships in the sustained release market segment, and what are the key alliances in the industry?
• What are the essential formulation factors, delivery device selection issues, related technology factors and market development issues for sustained release injectable drug products?
• In what therapeutic market segments do sustained release injectables compete? What is their market share today? What will it be in 2028? What is their expected growth rate?
• What are the significant economic, technology, and regulatory factors affecting the market for sustained release injectables?
Summary of Contents
Injectable Drug Market Dynamics
The Trend toward Self-Administration
Injectable Drug Formulation Technology
Innovation in Injectable Device Designs
Therapeutic Demand Drivers
Sustained Release – Branded Formulation Technologies
Branded SR Formulation Technologies
Physical Process Control Methods
Sustained Release Injectables – Development Factors
SR Injectables – Product Analysis & Market Sector Forecasts