Specialty prefilled injection devices – a group that includes pen injectors and autoinjectors – are creating new opportunities for drug developers and marketers. These devices provide the ability to create product differentiation in the age of direct-to-consumer marketing.
Because biological drugs most often target chronic conditions, dosing strategies and treatment protocols must be developed for long-term use, often for self-administration by patients who may have limitations directly related to their condition. The shift in as-supplied packaging from single and multi-use vials to prefilled injection devices will accelerate over the next five years as drug developers move to empower an increasing number of chronically ill patients. The powerful physiological effects of antibodies, hormones and other biological drugs also increase the need for safety and compliance.
Prefillable Biological Drug Delivery – What You Will Learn
- What are the market factors driving commercial activity in the biologicals drug delivery segment?
- What are the major factors driving as-supplied product development decisions within biological drug development organizations?
- How does the availability of patient support resources influence the prescribing decision for biological drugs?
- How important are drug developer-formulation technologist relationships in the biological drug packaging segment?
- What are the key influencers regarding as-supplied packaging in the biological self-administration market segment?
- What are the significant economic, technology, and regulatory factors affecting the selection criteria for self-administered biological drugs?
Summary of Contents
The Market Opportunity
Delivery Market Dynamics
Economics of Injectable Drugs
What’s Driving the Growth in Injectable Devices?
Prefilled Syringes Proliferating
The Trend toward Self-Administration
Innovation in Disposable Device Designs
Proliferation of Biological Drugs
Therapeutic Monoclonal Antibodies
Therapeutic Demand Drivers
Prefillable Commercial Devices for Biologicals
Manual Injection Autoinjectors
Automated Injection Autoinjectors
Autoinjector Product Summaries (28 Devices/10 Suppliers)
Product Specific Prefillable Autoinjectors Summaries
Device Design Factors
Material Selection Issues
Part Counts and Device Cost
Needle Insertion Depth
Dose Inspection/Injection Confirmation
Standardized Pen Platform Summaries (10 Devices/5 Suppliers)
Custom Pen Designs
Dual Chamber Pens
Commercial Pen Products (18 Devices/7 Suppliers)
Prefillable Pen Injector Application Segments
Large Volume Wearable Devices
Approved Wearables Product Analysis (10 Devices/10 Suppliers)
Emerging Wearables Technology
Key Therapeutic Sector Analysis
Patient Adherence & Ease of Use